Welcome to Bepa's Garden!
This blog is about organic gardening, healthy eating and healthy living.
Each month I will be posting Garden To-Do Lists, Tips & Techniques, Garden Project Plans, Photos from the Garden, Recipes and Book Reviews.
I hope you enjoy reading and I hope I can inspire others to start a backyard garden!
Happy Gardening!
~Rob~

Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Planting by the Phases of the Moon


One of the most interesting, and controversial, techniques I have come across while studying biodynamic gardening is the planting of seeds by the phases of the moon. It's the concept that the lunar gravitational pull has an effect on the germination of seeds and the roots of transplants. I have often started the same variety of seeds at different times only to have one batch germinate almost immediately and the other take up to 2 weeks to germinate.  I never understood why until I read about the influence the gravitational forces of the moon has on plants.

The basic concept is you start seeds 2 days before a new moon, in the first 7 days after the new moon the lunar forces increase root and leaf growth, in the second 7 days the lunar forces increase the leaf growth rate. On the full moon you should transplant your seedlings, then in the next 7 days the lunar forces increase root growth and in the next 7 days there is a decrease (resting period) in root and leaf growth. With the next new moon the cycle starts all over again.



Cucumber seedling planted 5 days ago following the Biodynamic Planting Guide and Calendar.


The book, How to Grow More Vegetables by John Jeavons describes in greater detail the process of planting by the phases of the moon. There is also a Biodynamic Planting Guide and Calendar which you can purchase from The Biodynamic Farming and Gardening Association which really goes into great detail describing the forces of the moon, starts and planets. It also gives you a daily calendar that tells you which seeds to plant on which days breaking it down by Leaf, Fruit, Root and Flower categories. This is my first year using the Planting Guide and Calendar and the results have been remarkable!

5 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. I may have to give it a try. I had planned on sowing my beet seeds in my containers this weekend, but we have a forecast of snow so I'm waiting till it's a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to the Planting Guide and Calendar a good time to plant beet seeds, which are considered a root category, would be between March 28th around noon until March 30th around noon. The next optimal time would be April 7th to April 8th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. does this method apply to starting seeds indoors as well? Mine are under a grow light in the basement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. I start my seeds by the phases of the moon and usually have germination in a day or two.

      Delete