Welcome to Bepa's Garden!
This blog is about organic gardening, healthy eating and healthy living.
Each month I will be posting Garden To-Do Lists, Tips & Techniques, Garden Project Plans, Photos from the Garden, Recipes and Book Reviews.
I hope you enjoy reading and I hope I can inspire others to start a backyard garden!
Happy Gardening!
~Rob~

Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Garden Pests

Tomato Hornworm (photo by C. Terry)

Now that the garden is coming in nice the pests are starting to attack in full force. This past weekend while weeding I came across the tomato hornworm (pictured above) eating my potato plants. This is the first time I have seen one in my garden. Johnny's has a very informative video about this ugly pest. Last year we noticed the hummingbird moths flying around in our butterfly garden and didn't realize that they lay the eggs that turn into the tomato hornworm. I check my garden every morning handpicking any pest I might see, so I noticed him right away and he didn't have time to do too much damage. I also use row covers early in the spring when I plant to keep the pests from laying their eggs on the leaves of the plants. Using row covers along with applications of compost tea seems to work pretty good. I still get the occasional pest, but not nearly as many as I used to.

3 comments:

  1. Humming bird moths..who knew they were the culprits? I always learn something new when I read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodi. I didn't know where the tomato hronworm came from either until I saw the video posted at Johnny's. I'm happy to pass along the information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think I will have to plant more for the Hummingbird Moth. I am amazed and will have to research this more. Fascinating. I love the moth. ;>(

    ReplyDelete